Saturday, July 14, 2018

Dell Precision Laptop Battery Charger Problem [solved]

Initial Event:

The Dell Precision laptop discharged and auto shut down while the AC adapter (180-Watt DA180PM111) was plugged in.

Symptoms:

  • While plugged in 
    • With battery
      • The battery indicator light on the laptop slowly blinks white
      • Powers on for a few minutes at a time before auto switching off
      • Screen brightens erratically
    • Without battery
      • Indicator light does not turn on
      • Does not power on
  • Unplugged
    • With battery, powers on for a few minutes then turn off due to low battery.

Troubleshooting:

At first I only had the original AC adapter and I couldn't find anything on the web specifically stating that my laptop could run from AC without the battery being installed so I wasn't sure if it was the battery, adapter or a motherboard problem.

Finally found another dell adapter (90 Watt) to test and everything works great again, even without the battery installed.

If I had known for sure that the laptop should be able to power on without the battery I could have saved time troubleshooting. Luckily I did not buy a replacement battery before I found another AC adapter to test.

Solution:

Replace defective AC adapter.

Further Reading:

Dell Indicator Lights
https://www.dell.com/support/article/ga/fr/gabsdt1/sln288817/precision-workstation-m4600-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en

No comments:

Post a Comment

all the entries

Mastodon