Initial Event:The Dell Precision laptop discharged and auto shut down while the AC adapter (180-Watt DA180PM111) was plugged in.
- While plugged in
- With battery
- The battery indicator light on the laptop slowly blinks white
- Powers on for a few minutes at a time before auto switching off
- Screen brightens erratically
- Without battery
- Indicator light does not turn on
- Does not power on
- With battery, powers on for a few minutes then turn off due to low battery.
At first I only had the original AC adapter and I couldn't find anything on the web specifically stating that my laptop could run from AC without the battery being installed so I wasn't sure if it was the battery, adapter or a motherboard problem.
Finally found another dell adapter (90 Watt) to test and everything works great again, even without the battery installed.
If I had known for sure that the laptop should be able to power on without the battery I could have saved time troubleshooting. Luckily I did not buy a replacement battery before I found another AC adapter to test.
Replace defective AC adapter.
Dell Indicator Lights